Abd Allah ibn Umar reported The prophet said: “Gabriel kept reminding of the neighbours rights that I thought he would order me to take them for heirs” Islam stresses the importance of treating your neighbours well and one of my favourite ways to maintain a good relationship with my neighbours is to bake something for them every once in a while. This is a super easy recipe for cinnamon rolls that you can bake for your family, friends and neighbours!
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 packet instant yeast
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (to taste)
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup sugar
Chocolate chips/raisins (optional)
1 cup Icing sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk
- Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. (make sure you put a lid on that or it’ll coat the whole inside of your microwave) Transfer to a large mixing bowl. In the same bowl as you melted the butter in, heat up 1 cup of milk unti it’s just warm, like the temperature of bath water, If it’s too hot it will kill the yeast. Transfer the milk to the large mixing bowl with the melted butter. Sprinkle over the packet of yeast and stir once and let bloom for 10 minutes.
- Mix in a tablespoon of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the milk mixture.
- Add in flour 1/2 a cup at a time to the liquid mix wit the dough hook attached if using an electric mixer. You might not need to add all the flour.
- Knead the dough for a minute or two, until the dough comes together. It should be a slightly sticky dough.
- Coat your mixing bowl with vegetable oil or melted butter and place dough back into the bowl. Cover with cling film and allow to prove in a warm place for an hour until it doubles in size.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface, into a rectangle roughly the thickness of a pound coin.
- Brush with 4 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle on 1/3 cup of sugar and a tablespoon of ground cinnamon (or more if you want) and sprinkle on chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough starting from the wide end into a log, then cut into 1.5 inch pieces and place into a square baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Cover w cling film and set on top of oven while it heats up.
- Preheat oven to 170 C, remove cling film and place cinnamon rolls in oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until light golden brown.
- Mix 1 cup icing sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of milk to make a thick icing to drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls.